Our Historical Artifacts

In addition to a collection of some 250 fans which are referred to in detail on the Fans Page, the Company owns the following treasures:

Mace

Carried by the Beadle in front of the Master at all company occasions, the bamboo staff and orb could date from 1696. The silver fan was added by Master Michael Burnett in 1726 and embellished with the Company’s coat of arms by Master Richard Ringwood in 1759.

The Davis Cup

This is hallmarked 1813, and is silver gilt. Made by Garrards and used as a loving cup, the piece was created during the reign of George III.

The Ritter & Smallman Cups

Used as loving cups, these two, presented by Christian Ritter and Sir Henry Smallman in their year as Master (1892 & 1893) are almost matching. The Rosewater Bowl & Ewer: Given by Master Frank Collins in 1896. Modelled on an Elizabethan original, they are similar to the ones used by the Skinners’ Company.

The Poor Box

A substantial silver casket by Searle & Co dated 1939, presented by Master Bernard Ross Collins in 1940. Plates record various members of the family who have served the Company. It is used to accept fees at Court meetings.

The Master’s Badge

Designed and purchased by the Court in 1878. The gold chain was presented in 1895 by Alderman and Master R W Chase. Old Testament: Printed in Oxford in 1726 and presented to the Company in 1737 by James Brooker. He also gave a New Testament, which is used every time a new Freeman makes his declaration.

Fan-Shaped Cigar Box

Presented by Past Master Norman Latchford in 1972. Made by Garrard & Co, it is complemented by the Silver Cigar Cutters, donated by Master John Selby in 1969. The Clerk’s Badge: Presented by Michael Druitt in 2007 as a replacement. A Modern Rose Water Bowl: Presented by Past Master Connor.

The Bodin Cup

Wine goblet presented by Assistant Peter Dove for shooting in memory of Liveryman George Bodin’s love of the sport.

Other Treasures Include:

Portrait of HRH Princess Alice, The Duchess of Gloucester, in red evening dress. Painted by Ernest Hayes, and presented by Master Thomas Swan in 1956. It hangs on the staircase of the Skinners’ Hall.

CIV Silver Capped and engraved Swagger Stick, dated 1900 and used at the call to arms by Past Master Newton.

Books

Naturalisation of Jacob Chassereau (1709), William and Mary’s Act of Parliament, encouraging settlement of Huguenots in England.

Maps

Maps showing location of Fannmakers’ Hall or Meeting Place in Red Cross Street, dated 1668, 1749 and 1799.

Documents

Patent Rolls (1709)

 

 

Armorial Banners of Prominent Fan Makers