Company Aims & Objectives
Statement of Aims
The main aim of the Company is to be the acknowledged repository of fan enthusiasm and expertise in relation to:
- antique and modern ladies’ fans in conjunction with The Fan Museum and in association with the Royal College of Art, Fan Circle International, and other related associations*;
- air-conditioning fans linked with the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers and manufacturers’ associations;
- aviation and aerospace fans in association with Cranfield University, the Society of British Aerospace Companies, and the Defence Manufacturers’ Association;
- Armed Forces’ fans in association with HMS Westminster, 217 Field Squadron RE, Number II (Army Co-operation) Squadron RAF, London Area Sea Cadets, the Middlesex and North-West London Army Cadet Force, and the London Wing of the Air Training Corps.
And to use all the skills of a mixed Livery in the promotion and development of such enthusiasm and expertise.
Statement of Objectives
- Support HM The Queen, the Royal Family, the Lord Mayor of London, the Sheriffs and the City Corporation.
- Play a full part in the promotion of the status of the City of London.
- Pursue charitable objectives, especially with The Fan Museum.
- Develop educational objectives, especially with The City of London Academy and Lansbury Lawrence School.
- Promote the Fan Museum and organisations dealing with antique fans.
- Care for our treasures.
- Promote the modern fan industry and the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers.
- Support our associations with units of the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force, and with the defence, aeronautical and aerospace industries
- Develop the companionship of the Livery and increase membership to the number permitted by the Court of Aldermen.
- Increase the value of the Company’s investments.
- Strengthen corporate governance by the Master, the Wardens and the Court, with all committees, sub-committees and office bearers reporting to them via the General Purposes and Finance Committee.
- Interact with other Livery Companies and Groups of Livery Companies such as the Construction Liveries Group.
- Play our part in the spiritual life of the City of London.
Adopted by the Court at its Meeting on Thursday 23rd October 2008 following a review in preparation for the Company’s Tercentenary Year 2009.
* Examples are the Cercle de l’Eventail, the Fan Association of North America, the Textile Society, the East Bay Fan Guild, Associazone Cultare Il Ventaglio , the International Society for Collectors of hand-held fans, and the auction houses.